I so appreciate everyone's suggestions for marathons in my run stats post! I looked into all of them and more! In the end, I was looking for races that:
- Had the best travel time from Baltimore (direct flight from BWI or no longer than a 6 hour drive).
- Include a fairly flat course, and one that is scenic or has entertainment on the course.
- Take place no earlier than October 1, and no later than New York City (November 6).
- Have a 6 1/2 hour time limit or longer.
I ended up narrowing it down to two races!
- Wineglass (Oct 2)- Corning, NY, a 4 hour drive from Baltimore, scenic, flat course, 6 1/2 hour time limit.
- Columbus (Oct 16) - Columbus, OH, a 7 hour drive or 1 hour flight from Baltimore, flat course with 80 bands on the course, 7 1/2 hour time limit.
... and now, I kind of feel more excited about the prospect of running one of these races than about New York. I'm starting to dread the idea of getting into New York. It's because of the huge hassle that is the New York City Marathon. You have to be on the bus at 5am, but my (likely) wave start won't begin until probably after 10:00am. It's crowded and huge... and intimidating.
Thoughts? Have you done the NYC Marathon? Did you enjoy it? Should I just back out? I can actually remove myself from the lottery if I decide not to do it...